Friday 9 September 2011

Roman Holiday - Early risers

Unlike Audrey Hepburn we didn't sleep much in Rome and especially the first day we felt it was necessary to get out into the streets as soon as it was daylight ...why snooze on a holiday... that probably also explains the big bags under my eyes..



Thankfully our hotel was just around the corner from the Spanish Steps and the only real advantage of being up at 5.30AM is that really no-one else in their right mind are so we experienced the Spanish Steps with  NO-ONE on them!!! 



The view from the top of the steps was really amazing too - and I am glad I took a picture as I don't think my eyes were really working properly at that time of the morning


I knew we should have brushed up on latin - but it makes for a good tourist shot ..Chris you will recognize the Clepto t-shirt


And we had to start the collection of classic tourist shots - if for no other reason than to prove to people we were tourists and not home grown Italians - our language skills had many of them fooled though


Whilst there were great advantages of being up early and avoiding the crowds - we also ran into a few disadvantages ...but then again that just gave us even more reason to go and do more tourist shots


of course I had to toss a coin over my right shoulder into the Trevi Fountain - because already from the first morning we knew we definitely wanted to come back to Rome at some point and apparently the coin toss ensures that very thing..and also hundreds of thousands of Euro coins for the Rome city cleaners...



Hard enough to get Sam to pose and NO chance to get her to throw a coin....


same spot 3 hours later....


my my were we glad we are early risers..phew